Richmond Blimp Base

In 1942, with German U-boats sinking ships just off Florida’s coast, the U.S. Navy built Richmond Naval Air Station. Its three immense hangars housed blimps that could hover over convoys and protect them. In 1945, with the war barely over, the wooden hangars were destroyed in a fire driven by hurricane winds. Part of the mammoth blimp base is the site of Miami Metrozoo.

Buy any of these photos in the Herald store

Buy any of these photos in the Herald store

Comments

comments