Matheson Hammock Park
Matheson Hammock was founded in 1930 when the pioneer Matheson family donated 85 acres of tropical hardwood hammock off Old Cutler Road to Dade County. The family wanted the land to be used only for the benefit and enjoyment of the public as a botanical park and that it be “preserved and protected in a wild and natural condition.” Preparing the park for the public was done by members of the Civilian Conservation Corps, which was established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to relieve unemployment during the Great Depression by providing conservation work. The park opened to the public in the summer of 1930, making it the oldest park in the county. The park today covers 629 acres of swimming and picnic areas with lovely coral stone buildings alongside native vegetation.