Women’s Club

Women’s clubs have played a significant role in Miami’s social and cultural life, going back to about 1900, when the Miami Women’s Club was established as “The Married Ladies’ Afternoon Club.” Other early women’s clubs were founded in Coral Gables in 1923, in Miami Beach in 1926 and in Coconut Grove even earlier. The Miami Women’s Club originally was located on Flagler Street but moved to its current location on Bayshore Drive overlooking Biscayne Bay in 1925. Over the decades, the Miami Herald documented the gatherings of the clubs, often on the social pages – and usually without offering the woman’s first name, using only her married name. The clubs were a force for charitable work and concentrated heavily on cultural development to enrich daily life as South Florida grew.

Comments

comments