Lemon City is an ancient neighborhood by Miami standards. Named after the unusually sweet lemon trees that grew in the area, Lemon City was the home to one of the county’s oldest schools, the Lemon City School, and first library, the Lemon City Library. One of its early markets, Rockmoor Grocery, would go on to become the first Winn-Dixie store. A year before Miami’s incorporation, the 1895 population of Lemon City was 300. The area consisted of a second hotel, three general stores, a barbershop, a real estate office, bakery, sponge warehouse, two or more saloons, a restaurant, blacksmith, livery stable, separate post office, sawmill and photo studio. Being the bayside’s 15-building metropolis in 1895 the area attracted famous visitors -like Henry Flagler- and became the commercial trading center of Biscayne Bay. There were 13 ships moored there in 1891, including the Emily B, a 3-ton, three-masted schooner that brought Julia Tuttle and her family — including their cow Daisy — to Miami that same year. The exact boundaries of Lemon City are unclear because the area was never incorporated, its core is the same as today’s Little Haiti.
Buy photos in the Herald store